The Swagman 65155 Prospector Gunwale Pads are designed to assist you in carry a canoe on the roof of your vehicle. The Prospector can be used in a couple different ways to secure your canoe on the roof along with protecting your vehicle. The first option is if you have crossbars on the roof of the vehicle already, if this is the case the Prospector can just be mounted around the bars and then the gunwales of the canoe can be lowered onto the pads. The canoe can then be secured by running the straps from side to side and around the crossbars on the roof of the vehicle, you still are required to tie the front and back of the canoe down to the vehicle in order to provide a safe and secure hold.
The second method occurs if you have nothing on the roof of the vehicle, if this is the case you can rest the Prospector on the roof with the non-skid underside on the roof of the vehicle. If your mounting the Prospector directly onto the roof of your vehicle you must secure the canoe down by running straps through the doors of the vehicle to tie it down side to side along with tying down the front and back of the canoe to the vehicle.
- Can only be used to carry one canoe
- Great option for vehicles with existing cross bars or vehicles with a naked roof
- Prospector works great as a quick and economical way to transport your canoe
- Utilizes a non-skid underside to help protect your vehicles finish along with making it easier to mount the canoe onto your roof
- If you need a straps to tie your gear down side to side the Swagman 65137 Tie Down Straps are a great option