The Thule 9044 T2 Classic 2 Inch is a 2 bike rack designed after Thule's most popular hitch mounted bike rack the 916XTR T2. The 9044 T2 Classic mounts into a 2 inch hitch only and carries 2 bikes using a wheel mount platform system. This is the most universal style of bike rack as it avoids contact to the frame of your bike and instead attaches onto the tires.
Zero frame contact
The T2 Classic holds your bike in place by using a large ratcheting arm that secures onto your front tire and a rear wheel strap that secures your back tire in place. This type of attachment provides the utmost flexibility in the types of bikes you can carry, from heavy downhill mountain bikes to carbon fibre road bikes and everything in between. Small bikes can be carried as long as they have a minimum of 20 inch tires.
Fat bike compatible
The T2 Classic has been outfitted with wider wheel trays and a larger ratcheting arm which gives you the ability to carry fat bikes with tires up to 5 inches wide right out of the box. The 9044 also includes a longer rear wheel strap which allows you to securely hold the back tire in place.
Easier hatch access
The T2 Classic uses a hitch switch lever which allows you to fold the rack down providing better access to the hatch, trunk or tailgate of your vehicle. This can be done with or without bikes on the rack. On the back of SUVs and CUVs you can often open up the back hatch without needing to remove your bikes when the rack is in the folded down position. When the rack is not in use, it can be folded up vertically along the back of the vehicle, giving you better clearance if you are trying to park in garage or smaller stall.
Ability to add an additional 2 bikes
The 9044 can also be expanded to a four bike carrier by adding the Thule 9046 T2 Classic 2 Bike Add-On
(sold separately). To install the two bike add on you simply remove the cover on the 9044 and slide the 9046
into the tube, the rack is then bolted together providing security and stability.
- 2 bike carrying capacity
- Add a Thule 9046 T2 Classic 2 Bike Add-On (sold separately) in order to carry 4 bikes
- Fits 2 inch receivers only
- Hitch Switch lever folds and stores platform when not in use and tilts carrier away from vehicle for rear of vehicle access.
- Reinforced tray provides maximum strength and rust-free protection
- Adjustable wheel strap quickly secures back wheel to tray
- Ideal for carbon frames, mountain, downhill, and fat bikes as it fits 20 - 29” wheels and up to 5” tires without adapters
- Accommodates bicycles with disc brakes, thru-axles and other non-traditional frame designs
- Included Snug-Tite receiver lock virtually eliminates hitch carrier movement in receiver and locks the carrier to the vehicle.
- Ratcheting front wheel arms are lockable using Thule One Key lock cores (sold separately)
- Models: 9044 2 bike; fits 2" receivers only. 9045 2 bike; fits 1¼" receivers only. 9046 2 bike add on; fits 2" receivers only and must be used in conjunction with the 9044
- Rack Weight: 51 lb.
- Weight Capacity: 120 lb. total or 60 lb. per bike
- Hitch pin to bumper clearance (stowed postion): 4.5"
- Hitch size: 2"
- Product instructions: PDF download (external link)
- Thule hitch bike rack compatibility fit guide: PDF download (external link)