The Thule 501 Insta-Gater allows you to carry a single bike with front wheel attached in your truck bed, no drilling or bolting required. The 501 Insta-Gater uses ratcheting plastic anchors between the truck's bed and tailgate to secure itself in place. The bike is held in place facing backwards in the truck bed with its front tire pushed up against the tailgate. A large ratcheting hook clamps around the back of the bike's front tire.
You can add a Thule One-Key lock cylinder
(sold separately) to lock the release trigger of the ratcheting wheel hook in place. Lock your tailgate to secure the plastic tailgate anchors in place for full security. You can also add a Thule 538XT 6ft Cable Lock
(sold separately) to secure the bike frame to any tie-down point in the truck bed.
Trucks with tailgates 51" or greater can carry up to three 501 Insta-Gaters, while tailgates 34" and greater can accommodate up to two Insta-Gaters.
Tailgate Fit Specifications
- Carries one bike
- SecureHook holds the bike by grabbing the front wheel - no frame contact is made
- Integrated ratcheting arm raises and lowers for easy loading and unloading
- Fits 20" to 29" wheel diameter and up to 3" wide tires
- Add 1 x Thule One-Key lock cylinder (sold separately) to lock the ratcheting wheel hook
- Add a Thule 538XT 6ft Cable Lock (sold separately) to secure the bike frame to any tie-down point in the truck bed
- Product instructions: PDF download (external link)
- Do not use this product in any vehicle with a tailgate bed gap greater than 1/2"
- Ensure that front tire is fully inflated
- Up to 3 Insta-Gaters can be used on tailgates 51" or greater
- Up to 2 Insta-Gaters can be used on tailgates 34" or greater
- The Insta-Gater should not be used with bicycles having a head tube angle of less than 68°