The Thule 834 Hull-a-Port is a pair of J-style kayak carriers for hauling one kayak on its side on your vehicle's roof rack. Universal mounting hardware is included to attach to most roof rack crossbars. Heavy duty nylon straps with rubber cam buckle protectors are included to secure the boat to your cross bars. Nylon rope is included to tie down the bow and stern of the boat.
J-style kayak carriers like the Thule 834 Hull-a-Port are designed to save space on your roof rack by carrying the kayak up on its edge rather than lying flat. This gives you the option of carrying up to four boats on a roof rack, using one pair of 834s for each boat.
The 834 Hull-a-Port adds roughly 18 inches to the total height of your vehicle. If this extra height is a concern, consider the Thule 835PRO Hull-a-Port Pro folding kayak rack
which folds to sit flat against the cross bar when not in use.
- Carries one kayak up to 36" wide and 75 lbs
- J-Style carrier for easy loading and unloading
- Also creates more room along the length the load bar to save room for transporting other gear
- Steel design with adjustable padding for carrying strength and kayak protection
- Includes all the straps to transport 1 kayak
- Quick on/off hardware (steel plates with carriage bolts and wing nuts) ensures fast installation and removal of carrier
- Two different lengths of carriage bolt are included to fit different cross bars
- Some bars, such as those on the Thule 500XT XSporter, require the use of longer carriage bolts found in the Thule Xadapt 3 long bolt kit (sold separately); see instructions for the bolt length your vehicle requires
- Add a Thule Xadapt 11 t-track mounting kit (sold separately) if you wish to mount your 834 Hull-a-Port into the top slot on your Thule AeroBlade bars (requires cutting your rubber strip); otherwise simply use the included bolt hardware to clamp around the bar
- If you do not have tie down points on your vehicle, you can use the Thule 529 Hood Loop for front tie down points and/or the Thule 530 Quick Loop for rear tie down points (both sold separately)
- Product instructions: PDF download (external link)