The Yakima JayHook is a pair of J-style kayak carriers for holding a kayak on its side on your vehicle's roof rack. The JayHook is designed to carry all types of kayaks, from whitewater to recreational to touring, including tandems. Each JayHook set contains two J-style cradles, one for each of your vehicle's crossbars.
Simple side loading
After lifting your kayak up into the cradles, you will use the included heavy duty straps with rubberized cam buckle protectors to tie the boat down from the top of the JayHook back around your crossbars. The included bow/stern tie-downs are used to secure the kayak at the front and back of your vehicle.
Great for saving space on the crossbar
Compared to flat style kayak carriers, upright kayak carriers like the JayHook are ideal for saving space on your crossbars. This is perfect for carrying multiple kayaks at once, or a kayak next to a cargo box, bikes, or anything else.
Includes all the straps you need
Yakima includes two pairs of straps with the JayHook - two heavy duty nylon straps with rubberized pull-tight cam buckles for over top of the boat, and two pull-tight nylon straps for the bow and stern tie-down. This four point attachment system is recommended regardless of the length of your boat. If your vehicle does not have existing easily accessible front and rear tie down points to secure the bow and stern of the boat, you can use either the Yakima Anchor Strap Kit
or the Thule 529 Hood Loop
for the front tie down point, and/or the Thule 530 Quick Loop
for the back tie down point (all sold separately).
Universal mounting hardware
Yakima designed the JayHook with universal attachment hardware that can be installed on most round, square, aerodynamic, and factory crossbars right out of the box. The JayHook is an "always up" type of kayak carrier. If you need to get into a tight parking space, the JayHook comes off reasonably quickly using the wingnut and carriage bolt hardware. For a good foldable carrier option, check out the Yakima JayLow folding kayak carrier
- Carries one kayak on its side
- Designed to carry all types of kayaks up to 80 lbs / 36.2 kg
- J-shaped cradle is secure, stable, and easy to load
- Minimum crossbar spread of 24 inches
- Durable rubber and foam padded contact points provide protection and grip while traveling
- Universal crossbar compatibility - fits most round, square, aerodynamic and factory racks
- Premium heavy duty straps and bow/stern tie-downs included
- Add Yakima Ripcord locking tie-down straps or a Yakima 9 foot SKS locking cable to optionally lock your boat to your rack (both sold separately)
- If your vehicle does not have existing easily accessible front and rear tie down points to secure the bow and stern of the boat, you can use either the Yakima Anchor Strap Kit or the Thule 529 Hood Loop for the front tie down point, and/or the Thule 530 Quick Loop for the back tie down point (all sold separately)
- Product instructions: PDF download (external link)