The Yakima DeckHand is a pair of saddles for carrying a kayak on a vehicle's roof rack. It can be paired with a second set of DeckHand saddles or Yakima HandRoll kayak rollers
to make a complete single kayak carrying solution. A single heavy duty nylon strap and bow/stern tie down are included to help secure your boat. The DeckHand is designed with universal attachment hardware for use on round, square, aerodynamic, and factory crossbars.
Full contact saddle design
The Yakima DeckHand has a sleek, modern design that conforms to your kayak's hull for a super secure, full contact carry out of the box. Yakima also includes a pair of marine felt pads to help reduce friction if you are going to be loading the box by pushing forward from the rear of your vehicle.
Sold in pairs for versatility
Each DeckHand comes with a pair of saddles for a single crossbar. To carry one boat, pair the DeckHand with a set of Yakima HandRoll load assist rollers
for easy rear loading, or use another set of DeckHands. A strap for one crossbar and a strap for the bow or stern is included with each DeckHand/HandRoll pair, so you will have all the straps you need for one boat when you purchase a second set.
Universal, lockable attachment hardware
Rubberized T-handle clamp hardware is built on to the bottom of each DeckHand saddle - no loose parts and no tools required. There is a spot to add a Yakima SKS lock core
(sold separately) to each saddle to lock them down to your crossbars.
- Includes one pair of saddles - to carry a single kayak, purchase two DeckHands or one DeckHand and one HandRoll
- Includes one heavy duty strap and one bow/stern tie down
- Flexible saddle shape conforms to boat hull for secure, full-contact cradling
- Felt-padded cradles protect hulls and are shaped for easy loading
- Tools-free install to any crossbar
- Locks to base rack with Yakima SKS lock cores for added security (sold separately)
- Add Yakima Ripcord locking tie-down straps or a Yakima 9 foot SKS locking cable to optionally lock your boat to your rack (both sold separately)
- If your vehicle does not have existing easily accessible front and rear tie down points to secure the bow and stern of the boat, you can use either the Yakima Anchor Strap Kit or the Thule 529 Hood Loop for the front tie down point, and/or the Thule 530 Quick Loop for the back tie down point (all sold separately)
- Product instructions: PDF download (external link)